Starting this year, all NJ Region refreshers will be Hybrid OEC Refreshers.
This means there are two parts that you will need to complete to get your OEC Cycle B Refresher credit:
PART 1 – Online portion (Lectures)
PART 2 – “On Mountain” portion (Hands-on)
INSTRUCTOR OEC REFRESHERS:
- Saturday 9/12 at Lambertville, NJ (8am – 3pm)
- Sunday 9/20 at Wayne, NJ (8am – 3pm)
(see Calendar for Registration links)
IMPORTANT: ONLINE PRE-REGISTRATION FOR THE INSTRUCTOR REFRESHERS WILL BE REQUIRED. Due to the new hybrid format and some issues last year,
each INSTRUCTOR refresher will be capped at 25 attendees each.
2015 OEC REFRESHERS:
- Delaware Valley – 10/4
- Hidden Valley – 10/17
- Campgaw – 11/22
- Mountain Creek – 11/22
(see Calendar for Registration links)
Information on taking Hybrid OEC Refresher online portion:
- Obtain a Hybrid Online Refresher Cycle B 2015 Course Number from a Refresher IOR by registering for an OEC Refresher.
- (Refresher registrations & Online course numbers will be posted here later, so check back!)
- Log-in to the NSP.org website
- Click on “Click here to download registration Instructions “
- Click on “OEC Refresher Cycle B 2015 hybrid online course registration”
- Begin the online Hybrid portion of the refresher.
- Print out the Online Certificate* and bring it to your “On Mountain” Refresher.
Note: the “registration instructions” are not quite correct, but you should be able to muddle through. If you took an online hybrid refresher last year, you can skip Step 2 as you are already registered with the Refresher/Testing online software.
*The certificate is good for completion of your 2015 Cycle B Refresher at ANY On-Mountain Hybrid Refresher.
For example: You register for the MC online portion with the intention of attending the MC Refresher, but life happens and you have to attend the DV Refresher instead. You do not need to register for the DV online hybrid and retake the online portion. Only register for one online hybrid refresher.
Question: “HELP! I won’t be able to complete the Refresher this year because I can’t do the online portion.”**
Answer: Put down the AOL 1.0 CD with 200 free dial-up hours and contact David Mooney (firstname.lastname@example.org)
**There is a high likelihood the individuals who would say this won’t be reading this, let alone respond via email. If you know such a patroller, please have them call David instead at 908-328-6125.
NEW Region Officers:
- Region Director – Joe Manna, email@example.com
- Assistant Region Directors:
Don Cavallo, firstname.lastname@example.org
Susanne Ebling, email@example.com
- MTR Advisor – John Rovetto, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Senior OEC Advisor – John Crandall, email@example.com
- Alumni Advisor – Ralph Cooke, firstname.lastname@example.org
- New Jersey Ski Council Representative – Stu Gillard, email@example.com
- Region Delegates:
Debbie Cowell, firstname.lastname@example.org
Bill Brown, email@example.com
- Region Dinner Dance, April 19th (see post below)
- Region Recruitment booth at Lambertville Shadfest, April 25-26*
Contact Stu Gillard (firstname.lastname@example.org) for additional info & booth location
- OEC class at Mountain Creek begins in May
Class is full, please contact KG (email@example.com) for possible openings and class info.
- SARAT (Search and Rescue Team) Mock Search, April 12th*
- MTR E, Navigation Course May 16th*
- Instructor Development course, May 17th*
*See Region Calendar for additional information.
- The many candidates who passed their OET(aka S&T) this season.
- Four Senior candidates passed the Senior OEC Module.
- John Crandall and crew for a successful Senior program re-boot. Great job!
- Gary Refuse from Campgaw passed the OEC practical evaluation.
(many thanks to the evaluators and patients)
- All the ski areas: Closing with snow still on the trails! An excellent ski season!
(apologies for the lack of names…check back for an update after the Region Dinner)
Come join the party!
When – April 19, 2015, 5pm-9pm
Where – Lake Mohawk Country Club
21 The Boardwalk Sparta, NJ 07871
Cost – $50 per person
Download: Dinner Dance 2015 flier
Checks made out to:
NSP-NJR (National Ski Patrol – New Jersey Region)
30 Breakneck Road
Vernon, NJ 07462
Fabulous door prize.
Don’t miss the cocktail hour 5- 6 pm (cash bar)
on the boardwalk.
Have some fun!
Outdoor Emergency Transportation (aka S&T) – There’s something for everyone looking to go to the next level of S&T or just improve on your skills:
- BASIC: There are 3 patroller schools within an easy drive from NJ and I highly recommend attending one to all patrollers. Learn the tips & tricks to better skiing from PSIA instructors and toboggan handling from Certified patrollers.
- SENIOR: If you are going for Senior S&T, then these schools are indispensable resources of great training to move up a level. Bring on the mogul fields!
- CERTIFIED: Be an elite patroller. Calendar has the program dates, contact them and learn the secret handshake.
MTR and Avalanche have a full set of programs this season too:
- MTR 1 (if you missed out on the one in December)
- MTR2 – NOTE: courses shown are the 2nd half. Contact the person in charge regarding part 1 (equipment inspection, etc.)
- Level 1 Avalanche – Run by our own Matt Karpinecz, no prerequisite needed. NEW LOCATION – course is now being held at Campgaw. Download new flier.
Also check out the Eastern Division Calendar for additional events.